Saturday, June 2, 2007

Coming up for air

I while back Mothersvox mentioned how spring was stirring things up for her daughter and how this change of season thing seemed to have an impact on many folks with regulatory issues. I mentioned that the change in seasons might be linked to the incredible strides forward that MK has been taking in the past month or so. But the tug of the seasons affects everyone, and not just the neurologically exceptional. So that could be what is behind my recent change in mood. It could also be the very fact that MK is doing so well, or the fact that his dreaded IEP is over and done with, or the fact the whole school year is almost over, or the fact that next year's teacher is reputed to be good. Whatever, it is, I'm feeling better.

And as I get used to this feeling, as I notice that I can stay sleep right up until the alarm rings, as I find that I can go for hours (or at least several minutes) without thinking about MK and his education, I look around me and I notice that I have a life of my own that is not necessarily entirely defined by MK, or at least, I have the potential for a life of my own, and I have been ignoring it -- letting it slip away unattended. I'm going to try and do something about that. It's going to involve some scheduling and some asking MK's mother to pitch in on some of the business of running our guy around to the various prodding and poking services that we make over 20% of our income to each month.

And while my motivations are entirely selfish, I imagine that my making myself a little more rounded, I will also make myself a better father.

2 comments:

J said...

I agree. Having a well-rounded life is something to aspire to. Most of us dads end up only aspiring, and never quite reaching, but that's ok too :)

Maddy said...

We all know what we should be doing, but sometimes we need a little shove in the right direction. Consider this to be your official nudge.
Best wishes