Monday, November 5, 2007

This is Sparta

What MK likes to do is edit videos. He would happily spend 16 hours a day huddled before the computer watching and producing YouTube Poop. He chops up scenes from his favorite cartoons and from games, and rearranges them to make something new. Most of it is extremely repetitive (big surprise there) and sometimes hard for me to fully appreciate (apparently not so for his peers, as the videos he has made have had 75,000 views on YouTube in the past six months). He did one yesterday that I particularly like. I think it's the kind of 80s technopop sound that make it accessible to me. It is, it seems, a riff on another video montage to the same music, but I like MK's version better than the original.

By the way, you definitely want the sound on for this one, but the volume is set a little high, so if you are at work, you may want to have your hand on the volume control.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Youtube Poop is quite popular with Autism 'sufferers' for some reason, and it could even be argued that they have a creative edge. Some of the best poops out there are a product of a point of view that wouldn't lend itself well to conventional media. I think also it's a generational thing, ask anyone creating art or media under the age of 20 what their stuff is 'about' and they'd have trouble telling you - they simply have nothing to say about the world yet (unless arguing). I think that's why poop is so popular, because the intuitive choices of a ten year can result in media that is more compelling media than that made by an industry professional!

VAB said...

Thanks for stopping by, Conrad. I enjoyed looking at your sites.

The term you are looking for is "autistic people" or "autistics."

Many autistic people, and most autistic kids, enjoy repetition in and of itself. Many autistic people also enjoy playing with words as manipulables, without being constrained by ordinary linguistic conventions. In many ways, that makes YouTube Poop a natural fit. I hadn't though about how many other people in the YouTube community might be autistic, but it makes sense now that you mention it.

Casdok said...

Madness indeed! But fun!

Marla said...

Awesome! My daughter is addicted to You Tube too. If anything she will not fear technology! I think this is great. She is better with technology than most adults we know!

Niksmom said...

Woah, trippy! Madness indeed! I could have used this music these past few nights! LOL

BTW, thanks so muchfor your really warm and thoughtful comments on my recent posts. Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

My lot have recently discovered the joy of UTube too - now we're scrabbling around [too late as usual] trying to find suitable 'parental controls.'
Best wishes